Thursday, April 15, 2010

Baby chicks in Eggshell crochet Pattern




Here is my Pattern for Baby chicks in an Eggshell. It should be quite simple to follow, but if you have any questions please email me at redlflame@gmail.com.

Supplies;
-a bit of yarn in white and any other color of your choice for the actual baby chick and a bit of black for the eyes (note, I use Borroco comfort yarn. I like how soft it is, it comes in lots of colors, its machine washable and fairly inexpensive)
-size F crochet hook
-a bit of felt for the beak

note about technique.
I start off my crochet circles using a technique called "magic circle". I find that once I learned how to do it (and it took a little practice) I would never go back to any other way of starting circles. It makes a solid start and no hole in the center. If you want to learn how to use it here is a youtube video (its how I learned)..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuSVyKvoUg

pattern....

Egg Shells (make 2)

Rnd1 with white make 10 stitches in Magic Circle

Rnd2 Sc 1, sc 2 in next sc (15sc)

Rnd3 Sc 2, sc 2 in next sc (20)

Rnd4 Sc in each sc around (20)

Rnd5 Sc 3, sc 2 in next sc (25)

Rnds6-8 Sc in each sc around (25)

Rnd9 change to accent color Sc through back loops in each sc around

Bind off

Egg/baby chick

Rnd1 with same accent color as used on outside of eggshell make 5 stitches in Magic Circle

Rnd2 Sc 2 in each sc around (10)

Rnd3 Sc 1, sc 2 in next sc (15)

Rnd4 Sc in each sc around (15)

Rnd5 Sc 2, sc 2 in next sc (20)

Rnds6-11 Sc in each sc around (20)

Rnd12 Sc 2, sc2tog (15)

Rnd13 Sc1, sc2tog (10)

Rnd14 Sc2tog in each (5)

Bind off

In Black make eyes on either side of face. Cut a diamond shape out of white felt and sew it onto face in the center of the diamond to make a beak. I made eggs in each color of the rainbow and put them into an old egg carton. And then you are finished!

31 comments:

  1. How absolutely adorable!!! I've gotta make a bunch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute pattern! I'll have to make if for one of my friends with little ones. :)
    -Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. tout mimi ,bravo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so cute.Going to be making a lot of them for my mom who just loves chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! They'd be great for preschoolers, to sort and match, and name colors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These were so much fun to make! Here are mine: http://elfluvsdwarf.blogspot.com/2010/06/eggy-chicks.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Love Love this pattern Thanks. Your soooo creative.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank-you so much for sharing this pattern!
    It actually makes me excited about Easter!?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. colette.clement77@wanadoo.frMarch 13, 2011 at 1:26 AM

    bonjour possible d avoir les explications en francais pour l oeuf merci

    ReplyDelete
  10. do you stuff the chicks? I am going to make a few of these. I think I'll stuff them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are very cute, yes you stuff them before you close them up, i have made 4 so far, most are spoken for already. lol :) going to make them for easter gifts for close friends !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for a really cute pattern! Will make a great easterpresent for my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love them. Thanks a lot for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! I tried to not stuff the chicks but the kids were obsessed with squishing them so I stuffed them. I'm making some for a friend but my own two keep playing with them. Guess we're getting a set now, too. Good thing they don't take very long to make! I posted about these on my blog morethana-mom.blogspot.com

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing this idea. I am running out of time for this Easter, but maybe next year....lol! Very sweet

    ReplyDelete
  16. Saw this on Ravelry and visited you for the pattern. It's very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these! I just came across this pattern and my first thought was "What a great game these would be for my preschool students!" These are going to the top of my to do list! Thank you for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, these are the cutest little things ever, thank you so much for the pattern!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these. I put the crocheted egg over a plastic egg instead of stuffing it with cotton.

    ReplyDelete
  20. will you sell any?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sooo cute:)) Thank you for the pattern:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so glad you posted this and someone I know pinned it! Extremely cute. I'm going to make some for my daughter's birthday present.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It was love at first sight!!! Thanks for this!!! I'm going to start right now!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So adorable, thank you. My ggranddaughter will love these.

    ReplyDelete
  25. People who put awesome patterns online for free are the BEST! Going to make lots of little folks happy with this. Sending a big shot of positive energy, and wishes for good things, your way. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. http://www.craftsy.com/project/view/baby-chicks-in-eggshell/97710

    My mom is 84 and is really sharp. But she does love to play with the little kids at church and in the neighborhood. I am going to make her a dozen in a carton. She - I mean THEY - will love playing with them!

    ReplyDelete